The film director’s primary task is to interpret the screenplay and translate it visually. He is the creative mind that chooses the aesthetical and technical specifications to be implemented in his vision.
The business of film may be in crisis, but the art of the cinema is as healthy as ever. Our panel of critics picks out the filmmakers who led the way in 2019.
The top ten Nollywood directors of 2019 are, in no particular order:
- Ramsey Nouah Jr – Living in Bondage: Breaking Free
- Moses Inwang – Cold Feet & Merry Men 2
- Akin Omotoso – The Ghost and the House of Truth
- Akinyemi Sebastian Akinropo – Coming from Insanity
- Adekunle “Nodash” Adejuyigbe – The Delivery Boy
- Ishaya Bako – 4th Republic
- Niyi Akinmolayan – The Set Up
- Tosin Igho – Seven
- Okechukwu Oku – Levi
- Kevin Nwankwor – Muna